Self-Service Time and Leave (SSTL) is UVA’s online system where employees report hours worked or leave taken. You will find SSTL in UVA Employee Self-Service, where you can also view payslips, change an address, print W-2 tax forms, and more.
The following types of employees are likely to use SSTL:
- Classified Staff
- University Staff
- Temp and Wage Employees
- Student Workers
Not all employees use SSTL. Consult an HR professional in your area to find out which method you should use to track your time.
- Some departments, such as Facilities Management, use their own time-capture systems
- Faculty and Research Associates who supervise staff use the system to approve leave, but not to track their own time
- If employees are expected to track their own time, schools and units must make a computer available to them during business hours
- HR offers classes in basic computer skills to help employees learn how to use a computer and navigate Self-Service
SSTL Updates and Notices
UVA employees living in Kentucky: Please see Employee Self-Service Tax Withholding Instructions for help updating your Form K-4. The K-4 will be available starting on Monday, July 2 through the Employee Self-Service portal on the Human Resources webpage. If you have questions, please contact the HR Solution Center at 434-243-3344.
Enter Hours or Leave
Log in to Employee Self-Service and click UVA Employee Self-Service, then Time Entry to get to an online time sheet.
- Non-exempt Staff (eligible for overtime) record hours worked and leave taken
- Exempt Staff (not eligible for overtime) record leave taken
- Wage or Temp—including students—record hours worked
- Managers or supervisors use Manager Self-Service to see employment information for direct reports and approve time online rather than signing a paper time sheet
- you may also approve time through the email notifying that staff have submitted a timecard for review
- timecards will go to whoever is identified as the manager in the Integrated System
- Departments should continuously update their assignments, inactivate assignments, and correct managers for accuracy
- Timecard Submission
- SSTL Timecard Error Messages
- Direct Deposit Instructions
- Employee Self-Service Tax Withholding Instructions
Online Help Guide: basic time and leave navigation support
Questions? Contact the HR Service Team at AskHR@virginia.edu or 434-243-3344