Search This Site

W-2 and 1042-S

Form W-2: Wage and Tax Statement

UVA is required by federal law to provide each employee with a Form W-2. Employees can expect to receive a Form W-2 by January 31 of each year.  For years 2018 and prior, you may access W-2s in your legacy system (Oracle for the Academic Division, UltiPro for University Physicians Group,

Have you signed up to receive your W-2 electronically? 

Learn how with these instructions. 

The W-2 form has details about

  • earnings for the past calendar year
  • taxes withheld
  • taxable cost of group-term life insurance
  • cost of employer-sponsored health coverage
  • contributions to retirement or tax-deferred savings plans

How to read your W-2, box by box.

How to print your W-2.

Requesting Prior Year W-2s

  • W-2s for years 2018 and prior are available to view in your legacy system (Oracle for the Academic Division, PeopleSoft for the Medical Center) For University Physicians Group, CY2018 and prior, please email a request to
  • Former employees should email to request W-2s
  • Email must be sent from your personal email account
  • It must include your full name, the last four digits of your Social Security number, the years for which the W-2s are needed, and the address where they should be sent

Frequently Asked Questions about W-2s

See our FAQ about W-2s.

If you have further questions about W-2s, please contact the HR Solution Center at 434-243-3344 or 

1042-S Information for Foreign National Students/Employees

The 1042-S is a year-end federal tax document given to a non-resident alien who received wages exempted from federal and state tax withholding by a tax treaty or received a non-qualified non-taxable scholarship. The 1042-S has an income code, which describes the type of income being reported.  In certain cases, you may receive a W-2 in addition to a 1042-S; the two forms are usually mailed at the same time.  The 1042-S will be postmarked no later than March 15. 

If you know that you should have received a Form 1042-S but have not received it, please contact HR Compliance and Immigration Services at or 434-924-1377.

For more information on 1042-S, please see our FAQ.