Form W-2: Wage and Tax Statement
UVA is required by federal law to provide each employee with a Form W-2. Employees can expect to receive a Form W-2 by January 31 of each year. Going forward, W-2s will be available via Workday Employee Self-Service. For years 2018 and prior, you may access W-2s in your legacy system (Oracle for the Academic Division, UltiPro for University Physicians Group, and PeopleSoft for the Medical Center).
The W-2 form has details about
- earnings for the past calendar year
- taxes withheld
- taxable cost of group-term life insurance
- cost of employer-sponsored health coverage
- contributions to retirement or tax-deferred savings plans
Requesting Prior Year W-2s
- W-2s for years 2018 and prior are available to view in your legacy system (Oracle for the Academic Division, UltiPro for University Physicians Group, and PeopleSoft for the Medical Center).
- Former employees should email AskHR@virginia.edu to request W-2s
- Email must be sent from your personal email account
- It must include your full name, the last four digits of your Social Security number, the years for which the W-2s are needed, and the address where they should be sent
Frequently Asked Questions about W-2s
If you have further questions about W-2s, please contact the HR Solution Center at 434-243-3344 or AskHR@virginia.edu
1042-S Information for Foreign National Students/Employees
The 1042-S is a year-end federal tax document given to a non-resident alien who received wages exempted from federal and state tax withholding by a tax treaty or received a non-qualified non-taxable scholarship. The 1042-S has an income code, which describes the type of income being reported. In certain cases, you may receive a W-2 in addition to a 1042-S; the two forms are usually mailed at the same time. The 1042-S will be postmarked no later than March 15.
If you know that you should have received a Form 1042-S but have not received it, please contact HR Compliance and Immigration Services at email@example.com or 434-924-1377.